Friday, March 1, 2013

The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices





The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare


Ok, so this series was a recommendation from a friend. I was kind of iffy at first because...Come on. Teenage demon hunters? But, I'll read anything and I sure am glad that I gave this series a shot.

It has also been a while since I read these series so as I am typing this, I am skim reading through them again... :) 

You start off following Clary, just a normal girl, with her friend Simon. They wander into a club, Pandemonium, where she sees a guy that just seems a little off. You find out later that (and sorry for the big jump...read the book!) it is Jace..a demon hunter. Clary can see him because she is also a Nephilim. You find out about the mysterious tattoos that cover their bodies, which are actually marks that they create to protect them, make the silent, stronger, etc, etc.
You follow these two as they fight down evil, fall in love, find out their (SPOILER ALERT) brother and sister...and the one man, the most evil man ever, is their father. You continue to follow them as they find out, Jace was adopted and not really Valentine's son...YAY! They can be together again....Andddddd you're left dangling as you await the release of City of Heavenly Fire.

Brief synopsis, but I am just too excited to have to wait for the newest book. I even started reading

The Infernal Devices, which is based on a 1800s version of the shadow hunters in the Mortal Instruments' ancestors (-inhale- boy was the a mouthful). And I have to admit...as much as I loved the Mortal Instruments.. I like The Infernal Devices a whole heck of a lot more. I instantly liked these characters more and fell in love with Will (Jace's Ancestor) and Jem. This series, while also based on the Nephilim; it involves a clockwork army, a curse with inevitable death of a beloved character, a backstabbing brother and...so much more that the Mortal Instruments just doesn't offer. However, I really liked that I read the Mortal Instruments first. You are introduced to so many characters that are in the Infernal Devices that you feel like you know them so much more. Like the colorful Magnus Bane! :) (a wizard that constantly helps the Nephilim and their tireless missions).

All and all both of these series are a great read and you are instantly hooked into them. The characters are something that you can def. relate to and you'll instantly fall in love with them! However, in my mind, I see them all as 20+ years old...I can't imagine them as 16, 17, and 18 years old..I just can't... Their characters are far more mature than they should be but, it also makes an easier read for someone that is older. Not just young adult readers for these ones! :)

I'll add more to this as the new books are released. My feelings and emotions are so torn between both of these series because I just want to know more! What is going to happen with Jace and Clary...What is going to happen to Jem? I just...need to know!



Happy Reading!
-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment